What is multimedia localization?
Multimedia localization is the process of adapting multimedia content from one language to another and to localize it according to cultural references.
Due to the overwhelming amount of content that floods the Internet, companies are searching for more attractive alternatives to gain their audience’s attention. Multimedia content is becoming a must-have in websites since it increases user interactivity by offering visual and auditory elements.
Multimedia localization can include different multimedia projects, such as:
This sort of content can be shared with customers, partners and colleagues from different parts of the world in other markets with other usages of the language. For this reason, a localization process becomes essential to adapt each support material and make it appealing and comprehensive for each respective audience.
- Training videos
- Corporate films
- Product presentation
- Interactive animation
- Training material
- Audio recordings
- Presentation movies
- Web banners
How does a multimedia localization process work?
When it comes to localizing multimedia content there are several aspects to consider:
Multimedia localization is usually done by different professionals working together as a team: linguists, translators and localizers, video editors and sound experts, that are generally coordinated by a project manager to assure high-quality results.
- What languages does the project have and what sort of translation and localization will be needed?
- Do subtitles need to be added to the video? Or perhaps a new audio track?
- Must the sound be done with lip-sync or with a voice-over?
- Which type of voice fits best for the project?
- Does the video have text? Does the text need to be adapted as well?
- How is the project going to be distributed?
There are two main types of subtitling to consider when facing a multimedia project:
1. Translation of a script file in a source language into the target language (translation: text into text).
2. Translation from the audio of the video into the script in the target language (translation: audio into text)
Subtitling can be classified as well considering if it is the same language or a subtitling one done across languages:
There are also some particular features to take into account. According to the client’s needs and means on which the video will be transmitted, there are different requirements and protocols to follow while subtitling, such as the length of strings (character limitation), the use of numbers and measures, abbreviations, text displayed, vocabulary, etc.
- Captioning: that is when the subtitles are prepared in the same language as the audio track.
- Interlingual subtitling: when the source language is translated into the target language in one or more lines of synchronized written text.
Multimedia localization at Stillman Translations
At Stillman Translations we work with audiovisual experts that localize any multimedia content, as well as subtitle it, making voiceovers and dubbing. This type of localization makes it possible for videos and audios to become available and comprehensive for any target market and audience.
Nowadays, multimedia content is becoming more and more consumed. We live in a technological world that is changing the way we interact with information. Many studies indicate that people pay much more attention and are more eager to watch multimedia content.
We can adapt any of your multimedia content and localize it so you can provide your audience with interactive and attractive materials.
Stillman Translations is a success-oriented company persistently working to be the most reliable language provider in the region. Our aim is to fulfill our clients’ needs so that they succeed both locally and internationally.
Offering translations in all possible language combinations, Stillman is particularly renowned for its into Spanish translations from English and Portuguese. Always striving to convey your intention throughout the linguistic process, we confidently draw upon our know-how to assist you in translations with other language combinations as well. We are there for you.